Indie developer and publisher Sabotage Studio revealed this week that it is introducing its new RPG, sea of stars, to PlayStation consoles. The game was announced during a recent Sony Interactive Entertainment event that highlighted new independent islands, giving players a glimpse into this beautifully created title. Honestly, when looking at it, it feels like a mix of multiple PS1/PS2 RPG titles, and that’s perfectly fine for us in terms of tone and action. The game will be released sometime in 2023, but for now, here’s more information about the game with an announcement trailer.
sea of stars It tells the story of two children from the Winter Solstice, who unite players with Valerie and Zell, and young men destined to become Solstice Warriors. By combining the powers of the Sun and the Moon to perform Eclipse Magic, they have vowed to battle the monstrous creations of an evil alchemist known as The Fleshmancer. Continuing the subversive journey of game development that blends vintage aesthetics with modern game design, invigorated and catalyzed by The Messenger’s overwhelmingly positive response, it’s time to take on the real big challenge. To create a turn-based RPG that would pay homage to the greats of the ’90s, while still providing enough renovation to be its own thing. All of our games take place in a common world, we can’t wait to show you all the stories we can tell with the richness of the world and the huge amount of characters involved in this RPG.
- Engage in turn-based combat: Pressing the action button synchronized with the animation increases damage dealt while decreasing damage received. Along with timed strikes, combat features combo and boost attacks and a strategic “locks” system that offers options to play with different types of damage in order to impede enemies as they cast powerful attacks or spells, all in an immersive experience on the genre; No random encounters, no transitions to separate battlefields, and no grinding.
- Unrestricted traversal: Swim, climb, hop, jump off ledges or levitate upwards as you glide seamlessly across the world using an experience-based platforming navigation that breaks free from the movement of traditional grid-tied set of tiles.
- Rich adventure story: Dozens of original characters and story arcs will take you on a captivating journey. Sometimes epic, sometimes silly, and sometimes other sentimental, Sea of Stars does its RPG duty of exploring the classic themes of adventure and friendship, while also being full of the unexpected twists and events you’ve come to expect from a Sabotage Studio production.
- All the fun, no boredom: Enjoy fighting without fear of hitting a wall and having to hunt for experience or items; In Sea of Stars, defeat requires a change in battle plans, not hours of repetition to improve the odds in a rematch.
- A world you can touch: There are plenty of ways to hang out in the world of Sea of Stars if you feel inclined to change the pace during your adventures. Sailing, cooking, fishing, stopping at the pub to listen to a song or play the popular board game known as “Wheels”… Each system is designed to deliver an experience that respects the old classics, with some areas rethought to offer a smooth and modern experience.
- radiant lighting: Dynamic lighting effects paired with a global-impact day/night cycle to make each area truly feel alive, pushing the traditional visual boundaries of classic style 2D pixel art games; The only way to correctly tell the story of the heroes who invoke the powers of the sun and moon.