ENTERTAINMENT ART

Princess Diana’s brother, Earl Spencer, says BBC correspondent Martin Bashir ‘made it’

Welcome to this week’s edition of my king, The Daily Beast’s newsletter for everything related to the royal family and the royal family. Subscription over here To get it in your inbox every Sunday.

Diana’s brother said the BBC should face police investigations

Charles Spencer, the brother of Princess Diana, who showed fraudulent bank statements by Martin Bashir indicating that her staff were cheating on her, and falsely told that Charles had had William and Harry a nanny, directly with the famous BBC. panorama An interview with her death. Spencer also called for a police investigation of the BBC and Bashir, who he said had “prepared” him to get to his sister.

Police said earlier that there was not enough evidence to open a criminal investigation into Bashir, but wrote in mail on sundaySpencer urged them to reconsider.

His new intervention came days after the BBC apologized to Tigi Legg Burke over Spencer’s “false and malicious” allegations that she had been pregnant by Bashir. Prince Charles She aborted. She received about $240,000 in compensation.

Writing in the Sunday newspaper, Spencer writes, “I feel set up…and show fake bank statements. I’ve been told of fraudulent payments, espionage, and horrific deception. But, I was the one all along Mr. Bashir tricked me into getting into my late sister.”

He added that Diana was “too weak” when she was at the time due to classified information appearing in the press. It is speculated that she may have been an early victim of the phone hack.

He then linked the interview directly to her death.

He added: “The painful lies she told the BBC before their cameras finally showed up secured her entering a panorama interview with a very perverted and misguided view of the situation she was in, having been lied to over and over again.

“This led to her speaking in a way that put her on a path where she was without due protection when she needed it most. All those responsible must be held accountable.”

I hope the police will reconsider their responsibilities in this regard. Only they had the strength to get to the bottom of this terrible scandal, which made Diana feel even more exposed and alone.

Earl Spencer

He added, “I hope the police will reconsider their responsibilities in this matter. Only they have the power to get to the bottom of this terrible scandal, which led Diana to feel even more exposed and alone, and tricked her into abandoning those who nurtured her and would have protected her.”

Diana relinquished the British police protection she was owed to her boyfriend Dodi Fayed’s private security team after the interview.

There is also the interview coverage in times, which reports that Prince William is “disappointed” by the BBC’s refusal to completely disavow the interview. Although the BBC has pledged not to show the entire interview again, it said that “brief excerpts for journalistic purposes” are still on the cards. times He said William still feels “a lot of hurt and pain” because of the scandal.

In a videotaped statement last year, William described his “unspeakable grief” that “the BBC’s failures have contributed greatly to the fear, paranoia and isolation I remember from those final years with it”.

The Mail He said the BBC declined to comment on Earl Spencer’s article, but did not say whether it had contacted police to comment on his appeal for a criminal investigation. The Daily Beast has reached out to Bashir’s representatives for comment.

Earlier this week, former royal nanny Tigi Legg Burke accepted £200,000 ($238,000) in damages from the BBC over ‘false and malicious allegations’ made by Bashir to Diana that Prince Charles had an affair with her.

The BBC’s Director-General, Tim Davy, said in a statement: “I would like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to her, the Prince of Wales, and the Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex, for the way Princess Diana was deceived and the impact on their entire lives. It is deeply regrettable. That the BBC did not address the facts in the immediate aftermath of the program when there were warning signs that the interview might have been improperly obtained.”

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Queen Elizabeth II at the Queen’s Young Leaders Awards Gala at Buckingham Palace on June 26, 2018 in London, England.

John Stilwell – WPA Pool / Getty Images

Meghan and Harry may be invited to Balmoral

Queen Elizabeth has reportedly invited Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and their children Archie and Lillibet as guests at Balmoral this summer. But, The Sunday on Sunday ReportsIf they go, they are unlikely to see other members of the royal family.

The Sun said the Queen will be staying for ten weeks at the seven-bed Craigowan Lodge. A Balmoral insider told the newspaper: “Staff have been asked to anticipate the full list of royals including Harry and Meghan and their children Archie and Lilipet. They are preparing for Sussex.”

Someone else said from the inside Sun: “Balmoral is the perfect place for them to spend some quality time with the Queen. They barely had 15 minutes with her on Jubilee.”

But another source poured cold water on an olive branch that was reported: “I’d be stunned if they showed up.”

As The Daily Beast reported on Friday, the full list of royal guests at Balmoral this summer is unknown, although the extended stay means Harry, Meghan and their children could easily spend time there with the Queen without crossing, for example, with Prince William and Prince Charles. . , with whom relations remain, ahem, tepid.

Subscription over here For the latest royal news and gossip with Tom Sykes and Tim Tieman.

Prince George is my little Prince William

When Prince George turned nine on Friday, the world was what one would think: He looks like father Prince William of the same age. Mum Kate snapped a lovely photo of George – during a recent family holiday in the UK, George was wearing a light blue shirt – and then old photos of his dad, like the one below, beaming by visual comparison.

Diana, the Princess of Wales and Prince William enjoy some refreshments in Windsor Great Park on June 1, 1991, a few weeks before he turns nine.

Anwar Hussain / Getty Images

Middleton Town?

Kate Middleton’s sister, Pippa, has been running a small petting zoo and safari park in Bucklebury, the village she grew up in, for several years now. But as always with the adventurous Middletons, plans are made for bigger and better things. The mail on sunday, citing planning documents, says Peppa now plans to redevelop his 77-acre Bucklebury Farm Park, adding a café and cabins for overnight stays. The Mail “The whole site will be decorated with twinkling lanterns,” he says.

Of course it will work!

Prince Charles intervenes for my mother

Prince Charles is stepping in again for his mother’s sake, this time to open the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham on Tuesday next week. Few had expected the Queen to make the trip from Balmoral given her recent health stress, but the announcement is another sign that times are inevitable.

Who landed the really big newnite?

A new row erupts over Prince Andrew’s disaster Newsnight Interview with Emily Mitlis. BBC insiders are outraged by producer Sam McAllister’s book about the interview, which they say glorifies her role at the expense of others who have worked on the show.

The telegraph Quoting a BBC source as saying: “There is an internal disappointment that it is not something that has been done to expose how these journalistic practices are dealt with and also that a lot of the people who have done a great deal of work on this program are being written out of the process of pursuing someone’s career. One. Former colleagues find it disappointing.”

However, the fact that these pesky comments didn’t surface until after McAlister secured a movie deal for her book, lends her top notes of the unmistakable sour grape scent.

Prince Andrew, Duke of York, attends QIPCO King George’s Weekend at Ascot Racecourse on July 27, 2019 in Ascot, England.

Max Mumbe / Indigo / Getty Images

And more (alleged) photo of Andy

The same telegraph The article also sheds light on the claims made by the still image photographer Newsnight Take a “horrific” picture of Andrew that would embarrass him if it surfaced. The telegraph He says the claim has been dismissed as “nonsense” by sources. The word one source used for the royals was the more fruity Anglo-Saxon term, “bollocks.”

This week in royal history

On July 29, 1981, Prince Charles and Princess Diana married in St Paul’s Cathedral, wearing a billowing Emmanuel gown, and the world was excited about what they considered a fairy tale. Subsequent events revealed otherwise. On a more cheerful note, on July 30, 2011, Zara Phillips married Mike Tindall at Cannongate Kirk in Edinburgh, very happily 11The tenth Anniversary to them!

Unanswered questions

Will Harry, Meghan and Famell head to Scotland, and if they do, won’t they do so at a time that intersects with everyone else?

Do you like The Daily Beast’s proprietary coverage? Participation over here To get proprietary newsletters sent directly to your inbox.

Related Articles

Back to top button