Jay Leno has revealed his ‘brand new ear’ after suffering two painful accidents just weeks apart.
At the end of last year, the 72-year-old sparked concern when he was rushed to hospital with serious burns after a petrol fire.
Following a quick recovery, the former Tonight Show host returned to hospital with broken ribs and a broken collarbone after he was ‘clotheslined’ on a motorbike in January.
Appearing on the Fly on the Wall podcast with David Spade and Dana Carvey, the comedian spoke of his tough few months.
‘Este [is] an all-new face. I did it in eight days. I missed two shows,’ he told the hosts, before reeling off the injuries he has been dealing with.
‘I got a broken collarbone, I got two busted ribs, and I got two cracked kneecaps because I got clotheslined on my motorcycle.
‘You’re a 72-year-old guy and an 83-year-old motorcycle. What could go wrong? I said, “Uh oh. It’s dripping gas. I don’t want to catch fire. Let me turn around.”
‘I turn around in a parking lot and the guy had a wire across a parking lot but with no flag. And the sun was right here. And boom, it just hit me.’
Jay had to reach back out to the doctor he turned to after his first accident, in November, to get his ‘new face fixed’ after the incident.
‘It cut my face again so I called my face guy,’ he continued, as David and Dana laughed at the collection.
‘I go, “Listen, you know that face, did you give me that new face? I’ve got to get it fixed.” [He goes], “What’d you do?” I told him, I drove up there and he fixed it again.
‘This is a brand-new ear. When you get burned in a fire, ears are like paper. They’re so thin it just goes up.’
Jay made headlines in November after working on one of his vintage cars, when he got covered in petrol in a freak accident.
A spark appeared to trigger an explosion, setting him on fire – before a quick-thinking friend jumped to his rescue.
‘I was under the car maybe 10 seconds before [friend] Dave pulled me out,’ he told People Magazine of the ordeal. ‘Any longer than that I could have lost an eye.
‘I’m not a panicky guy. But I knew if I breathed in, I could scorch my lungs.
‘It felt exactly like my face was on fire. Maybe like the most intense sunburn you’ve ever had.’
Jay then spent two weeks in a specialist burns unit at a nearby hospital, where he underwent a series of skin graft operations – before getting straight back to work.
However, that wasn’t the end of his health issues, as he was knocked off his motorbike weeks later, suffering a broken collarbone, two broken ribs and two cracked kneecaps in the accident.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us email@example.com, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
MORE : Romeo Beckham whips up lamb chops amid brother’s trolling over bizarre cooking technique
MORE : Jessie J looks simply wonderful as she shows off growing baby bump
follow Meter on Snapchat
You can follow our new Snapchat show Pop Cultur’dthe go-to place for all things pop culture.
Keep up with the latest Showbiz exclusives by following Metro Showbiz on Snapchat.
And football fans can indulge in all the transfer gossip and more on Metro Football on Snapchat.